Friday, August 13, 2010

You Might Learn Something

Holidays coming up tomorrow have some historical significance. First of all, and this was news to me, it will be National Navajo Code Talkers Day. This holiday was first named by President Reagan to commemorate the bilingual Navajo Natives who were recruited during WWII by the Marines to transmit secret tactical messages.
Speaking of WWII, Saturday is also V-J Day which means "Victory Over Japan", representing the day that Japan surrendered at the end of World War II. I am guessing this holiday is not celebrated in Japan.
Celebrate "Sandcastle and Sculpture Day" preferably at the beach, unless you like lugging tons of sand to your house. An alternative could be cat litter, I suppose but your sculpture might be rather grainy. And not smell too good.
Then my favorite. "National Garage Sale Day." I love a good garage sale. They are sprinkled all over south Florida. You can just get in the car on a Saturday morning and drive. Our car is equipped with a GSF, a Garage Sale Finder. It automatically turns to the nearest garage sale, especially when I am driving. It's a little hot right now, but when it cools off I'm there. We buy tons of crap at a really cheap price, get it home and never use it. A year later, I put it on Freecycle, or sell it at a garage sale. Politicians refer to these items as the Gross National Product, so-named because nobody wants them.

No comments: