Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hump Day

Interesting Day. After a bit of maneuvering, I was told that I could be on my favorite oldies radio show this morning at 9. I was very excited. This was to be my third radio interview and they are kind of fun...done from home on the phone. It was hard to get the information I needed. DJ's are even busier than I am so we finally got it settled that this morning would be the day. Of course, I was working so I let my boss know that at 9:00 I had to do this interview. He was excited for me and let me know that first we would have a practice fire drill at 8:40. So...close timing but I knew we could do it. At 8:30 I went outside to take my position to watch the teachers bring their classes out for the firedrill and make sure everyone evacuated in proper form. At 8:45, I was still standing there. Mosquitoes had taken their toll and I was sweating bullets from the humidity. This is south Florida, after all. I listened on my walkie-talkie for signs of movement.
Voice: We can't do the fire drill unless the sprinklers are turned off.
This necessitated an urgent visit from our chief custodian.
Voice: The gate is locked and I don't have a key to open it.
This necessitated an urgent visit from our chief custodian.
Finally at 8:45, the bell rang and the drill began. The children emerged from the building in perfect form, absolutely silent and serious about their mission. I called in to the office, herded them back into the building and ran into the office. The phone rang about 3 minutes later. I had a great interview, talking with my favorite DJs about my book, and about life as a Baby Boomer. It was cool. I was cool.
I finished up the interview, thanked the DJ's and hung up. Done!
My husband informed me that I was not on the radio at all, even though he listened for an hour for signs of Jeanne-life. So I am wondering...Was it a pre-recording for another time. If so, when? Or was it one humongous joke on Jeanne Kraus?
Friends listened too...it was humiliating. More about that if I find out any more.
On the other hand, tomorrow is National Dog Day. What a great way to celebrate your furry four-legged friends! My wiener dog is getting a lot of extra attention tomorrow. Wait. She already gets a lot of attention!
It is also Women's Equality Day. I'm just wondering. Equal to what?

4 comments:

MC Howe said...

I'm bummed. Had you told me I could have listened and been disappointed along with everybody else.

MC Howe said...

By the way, I like your new look.

jkraus8464 said...

Fortunately you will have another opportunity. According to my insider DJ expert, the last hour of the program is taped so that is when they do things like that. SO my program will be on either tomorrow or next week. Marketing is hard work!

jkraus8464 said...

Glad you like the format. Cory's girl, Ashlee did it for me and she is redoing my website. Such talent. I like it too.
So the radio interview will be sometime. Why does publicity have to be so difficult?