Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Let's Procrastinate Again

    Well today I have a good reason for straying off topic. Tuesday I managed to fall on a couple of cement (really hard) stairs and bang up my whole leg. It is pretty painful. I got to the orthopedist Wednesday after a 20 minute telephone call (waiting on hold, listening to easy listening music to calm my rattled nerves.) But the x-ray showed a fractured patella, along with the usual arthritis. In addition, my giant sized knee had to have knee juice sucked out of it with a sharp sharp sharp LONGGGGGG needle!


     Needless to say it had been very hard getting around with a really painful leg so I brought out the family crutches, the FreeCycle wheelchair and the ice bags. Wednesday the doctor added a beautiful purple cast to the leg from the hip to the ankle. It was a good fashion statement as you will see on my  picture. Went well with my tie-dyed shirt and my paper shorts that I was awarded at the doctor. Love those paper shorts.

     Unfortunately, some problems have surfaced because of the cast. It is long and straight and I cannot bend the knee so it is very difficult to get up from a sofa, chair, car seat and most of all, a toilet.  I cannot put excessive weight on the other knee in order to pull myself up, because, believe it or not, it is in worse shape, or at least it was, than the other knee.  There is no such thing as moving with urgency for me. The phone rang and I missed 2 calls before I could get to the phone. An urgent bathroom call came in the middle of an online Family Feud game and I ended up losing the entire game because A. it took me too long to crutch there and B. I could not lift myself off the toilet. "Help! I'm finished and I can't get up!"

     Last night I realized the importance of keeping the phone near me. It took me 20 minutes to answer the phone. The caller had hung up by the time I got there. The good thing is that I am eating and drinking less so that I will not need to go to the bathroom as much.
  
      George has to go to a mystery writer's conference this weekend. He may find me in the same position on Sunday that he left me in on Thursday. Should be interesting.
By the way, the top picture shows my cast outfit in all its glory. The second picture shows you how you can accessorize with the paper shorts. Nice touch, I think.

10 comments:

Colette said...

Love it!! The cast and the shirt! (Shorts aren't bad either!)Wish I was there to help you, friends are so needed at a time like this. I was in a cast for about a year, and I feel for you. Pease get well soon and take care.

jkraus8464 said...

Thanks Colette.I think I would go stark raving mad in a year. It's only been one day and I am already wearing my shorts on my head!

MC Howe said...

Good golly, what a folly!

Paper shorts and a tie dye shirt? Are you sure the doctor didn't give you a little something extra for the pain?

Elizabeth Twist said...

Oh, Jeanne. That's no good at all. I hope you heal quickly and thoroughly. In the meantime, at least your pesky cast is stylishly coloured!

jkraus8464 said...

To MC: I am not sure that Mr. Velour Suits should be commenting on my fashion choice. And yes, I do have something for the pain. Woot! Woot!

Sharon said...

Oh no! You poor thing. Reiki healing going your way. At least your outfit is tres chic.

I've taken to wearing those "old lady" unders because the walk to the bathroom while holding my tummy is way too slow. Good news is that I walked 1 1/2 mile today so should be able to graduate to big girl unders very soon.

Theresa Milstein said...

Hi, crusader. Sorry you got hurt.

jkraus8464 said...

Now see, progress is happening all over!

Hart Johnson said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry about the injury! Sounds horrible! (that is a FABULOUS shirt though!) I wish you a speedy recovery! Are there any temporary handi-capped contraptions you can put around the loo? Seems it might be nice to have bars to push yourself up with.

jkraus8464 said...

Thanks, Hart. I love the word "loo." It makes Americans look very tacky especially in an elementary school. There they are referred to as the potty, bathroom, gang bathroom, etc.
And yes, I have a ton of handicapped contraptions borrowed from my 90 year old mother in law, which makes me feel quite a bit older. I got over that quickly after spending 20 minutes one day trying to get up off the toilet without pulling the towel rack out of the wall. Ah life!