Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Day to Remember

Today is a day that will go down in Jeanne Kraus memory. I had the opportunity to speak to a stroke survivors' group. This group, known as the Golden Rule Stroke Survivors' Group, meets at JFK Hospital in Atlantis, Florida, about an hour north of us. I didn't know what to expect from this speaking engagement. But I was strongly drawn to doing it.

We met for lunch in the hospital cafeteria with some members of the group. One out of every two people there had suffered the effects of a stroke. And we were so impressed by their spirit, their attitudes and their humanity. I knew right away that I would not have to tone down my speech content for these people. They were real.

Of course, peeing figured prominently in my speech. That and doctor visits. What is cool is that a stroke does not in any way impair sense of humor and I was able to entertain them for 45 minutes with my particular Jeanne Kraus type of humor. No matter where I go, where I speak, I will always be thinking of my friends at Golden Rule Stroke Survivors'.

No comments: