Sunday, September 19, 2010

Speaking in Public

Well I have not spoken in public for a while but Saturday was the day. I did a workshop at Holy Cross Hospital for pre-school teachers on the subject of ADHD. It is an easy topic for me, I have probably done 50 such talks on the subject so anecdotes come easily to mind. What is funny about my presentation is that I followed a group of therapists and social workers who had their very nice organized powerpoint lectures.
Me, being one step ahead of hieroglyphics, stepped up to the podium with my overhead transparencies dropping out of my hands, falling to the desk in a disarray of organization, my notes not quite in order. The facilitator of the meeting, who is wonderful, had to assist me with techology issues for my DVD segment. So while she was doing that, I sold raffle tickets for her for a basket of arts and craft projects. Definitely a many-faceted speaker.
But the audience was so impressed with my ability to plug in an overhead projector, sell raffle tickets, and juggle transparencies, that they crowded over to my table to buy any books I had written. Even though I added my disclaimer about the Wrinkles, Waistlines and Wet Pants book: "You know, this is not a children's book. It is for feisty women of baby boomer age. My evil twin wrote it." They still wanted it.
It was a great morning!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Good going! A great speech, and a great opportunity to put "Wrinkles, Waistlines.." into the limelight, too!

Sharon said...

Hooray!! Good job, Jeanne
Sharon

jkraus8464 said...

Thanks for the feedback. It felt good and it was certainly a success, which many book signings are not. One step at a time.

Bodaciousboomer said...

Evil twin? I have one too. I call her Bad Michele. She makes all sorts of dubious decisions. Great post.