Saturday, January 14, 2012

Buy Buy Baby

Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes? Really?




I'll take one of everything!
Baby Bedroom
     The name of this store intrigues me, as I reflect over what has happened in the baby industry over the years. It used to be that the most expensive thing you worried about when you had children was sending them to college. Now I had my babies in the 1977 and 1981 so it's been a while. A rash of new babies has caused me to go baby shopping a number of times and I feel as though I am going into another world. 
A Crib Aquarium for Soothing
     First of all, there is a reason it's called "Buy, Buy, Baby." You buy and you buy and you buy. And your money goes bye, bye, baby.

     There is a selection of items for every task, baby wipes, a warmer so they don't get a chill, diapers in decorative patterns, special sizes, nighttime, daytime, playtime and pullups for that big kid feeling. There are umbrella strollers, jogging strollers, covers for shopping carts, and covers for strollers. There is a seat to go in the stroller with a cover for it. And there is a double set at Grandma's house so you don't have to make do with what she has on hand. 

     There are mobiles, stuffed animals that play music, timers that play "white noise," crib toys that reflect stars on the ceiling, and DVDs to ensure your baby is an Eistein by the time he/she gets his first tooth. Speaking of which, you can get all kinds of precious little mementos for babies for such events as losing the first tooth, going on the potty, taking the first step and saying their first words. (Credit Card)
Get a bigger house!
     I pulled out my baby book I had for Jeff and my baby shower netted some receiving blankets, socks, newborn diapers, crib sheets, some toys, one stroller, one high chair and baby clothes. We had a mobile, no baby monitor in those days, and the stuffed animals were just....cuddly animals. They did not play soothing sounds or spell out words or repeat math facts for them. 

     What alarms me about all this is that I am getting to the age of "Grandmotherhood." I guess I had better be prepared for "Bye, Bye, Baby."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our first grandchild spent the first year of his life with his Momma in our house. It was horrifying the size of the stuff required. We barely had room to move.

Murr Brewster said...

I had a lot of stuffed animals, probably because no one was planning to give in to my whining for a pet, and I had one Wetsy Betsy doll. She didn't last long. The animals were SO much lower maintenance.

Susan Kane said...

We shopped for a children in KMart and thrift stores. There was NO such store as Babie R Us.
Times have changed.

jkraus8464 said...

When I was a kid we had one Barbie doll and we bought outfits for it. The most expensive outfit was the wedding gown (5.00) which I never got.
Target and Penneys are my favorite places to shop for kids' stuff now.