Thursday, July 29, 2010

Perspective

It's funny how our perspectives on events differ so greatly from person to person. George, my husband, and I can both recount an event to someone and I find out that I am not sure we were at the same place. Today I was feeling some rather heavy stress over some personal issues bothering me and in one phone call my self-concern was wiped away. I received a call from a Stroke Survivors Support Group who would like me to come and speak to them about humor in life. The magnitude of this commitment amazed me as I talked to the woman who called, a stroke victim herself, who laughingly told me that I will have no trouble finding her and her friends because they are all in wheelchairs.
Wow! What an honor to be able to offer laughter to people who have been there and more. It could not have come at a better time. I just got my first bad review for my new book Wrinkles, Waistlines and Wet Pants. All my other reviews have been excellent but this one hurt. A younger woman, she chastised me for finding age-related body issues and health something to laugh about. She felt that our older readers deserved better. Hmm. Wait till she hits 60!

No comments: