Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tamarac Tsunami

     If it is not one thing to worry about it's another. As of late, natural disasters have been plentiful, causing me to take pause and wonder if we need to rethink our excessive lifestyles, or rather, if you guys need to rethink YOUR extravagant lifestyles. Mine hardly qualifies. But any way, here in south Florida we had a tornado touch down last week not far from here and Tropical Storm Emily is causing us some wind and needed rainshowers. 
     But today I learned that Florida is in line for yet another tide of misfortune, one they have titled the "Silver Tsunami." The numbers of aging senior citizens developing Alzheimer's is rising. It is a little scary to think that today's retirees will be walking around and mumbling in a wave of other older Floridians in just a few years. And it made me worry about myself.

My future?

     Fortunately, I have prepared my boys for such an eventuality. I have started forgetting things on a regular basis. I say the same things over and over again. It's all in the training. But it is a scary outlook for us almost-to-be-retired. Seems that the numbers have risen because we are living longer and healthier. Again more of my case against exercise and eating healthy.
     But I am still full of surprises. Today I did something that totally surprised me. I went to turn in my cell phone for an upgrade and ended up with an I-Phone.
Never thought it would happen. The low-tech person with an I-Phone. That will show my son Jeff, who told me my phone was "poo."
Poo Phone

New Phone

6 comments:

Sunkissed Adventures said...

I resisted the iPhone too. My husband had one and I made fun of him- then I started borrowing it. A month later I ended up with one and have been addicted!

Anonymous said...

Wow....good for you. I don't even have a cell phone. I must be poo squared.

jkraus8464 said...

Love that, Delores. Poo Squared.Guess that would be Poo Poo.

Susan Kane said...

You entered the brave new world of phones! I have a cell, but deny that the other will have find its way into my purse!

Bodacious Boomer said...

I'm getting our son's old (1 yr. old) I phone when the new one comes out in Sept. He can't be seen with an old POS like that will be then you know.

jkraus8464 said...

Well after a few days with the iPhone, I have found that my saleswoman (a Baby Boomer like me) was right. It is easier to operate than my old Poo Phone. Very surprising.